Posts for: March, 2018
Are your ankles in pain? Are you dealing with some sort of ankle trauma? If you are having trouble with your ankle(s), your Boise, Nampa, and Meridian, ID, podiatrists can help.
Here's some information you need to know:
People visit their podiatrist when they twist their ankle inward, underneath their leg, which may occur while:
- Playing sports
- Stepping off of a curb
- Missing a stair
- Walking on uneven surface
These common ankle issues can lead to more detrimental issues if they're not dealt with.
What to do if you injure your foot according to your Boise, Nampa, and Meridian podiatrists:
- If you sprain your ankle and there are visible deformities to your leg, ankle, or foot, then you need to go to an emergency room immediately.
- If, however, there's no serious damage, then you should begin home therapy with PRICE treatment (Protection, Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation).
- Fractures can develop at the ankle and foot. If you aren't able to put weight on the injured ankle or foot the next day, you will need to seek medical attention to make sure you aren't suffering from fractures in your foot or ankle.
- The doctors will perform a physical exam and take X-rays to evaluate the severity of your injury.
- If your podiatrist confirms there is no fracture but there's a sprain, they may supply you with a brace or walking boot to help and protect your ankle.
More on Ankle Injuries:
Twisting or rolling your ankle can lead to sprains and fractures in the foot and ankle.
An ankle sprain occurs when one or more of your ligaments get stretched or torn. The most common ligaments that get injured are your lateral collateral ligaments.The deltoid ligaments (the inside of your ankle) or your syndesmosis (ligament that connects the two bones of your leg just above your ankle) are less likely to be sprained.
When these ligaments are injured, you may find swelling, bruising, or pain. If you experiencing any of these symptoms, follow the instructions provided above or call the podiatrists of Idaho Foot & Ankle Associates in Boise, Nampa, and Meridian, ID, for more information.